It’s me Kelvin from LTheme team!
As you know, Joomla! just released two versions
- Joomla 3.10
- Joomla 4 (now it’s 4.0.2 with some bug fixes)
I know what everyone’s thinking. Don’t waste your time more, I write this Technical Blog with a short important guide for this update, nothing else.
Take any backup with Akeeba Backup Tool and Hosting backup to keep your website safe before update.
Update to Joomla! 3.10 (Recommended)
“Joomla 3.10 is the bridge between the 2 major series. Joomla 3.10 stable will primarily be a release containing backports of API changes from the Joomla 4.0 development branch to help ease the transition to the next major release for the community. Joomla 3.10 will be supported for 2 years after it has been finally released.
Once your website is updated to 3.10, the pre-update checker will allow you to check the compatibility with the Joomla 4.0 minimum requirements in terms of the current hosting environment and, more importantly, your installed extensions. This will help you migrate to Joomla 4.0 smoothly.”
Joomla 3.10 is the stable version and it’s pre-version to upgrade to Joomla 4, our templates are fully compatible with this version, so you can feel free to run this update. This is a RECOMMENDED way for production websites.
By process update from 3.x to Joomla 3.10, you just go to Admin > Component > Joomla Update, this is a normal update and won’t have an issue. We tested all Joomla templates, it’s fully compatible with Joomla! 3.10.
Keep your Joomla! site runs on Joomla 3.10, it means you have a stable Joomla 3.x version and you can get more 2 years support from Joomla!. Joomla 3.10 is the Bridge to Joomla 4, so you can update to Joomla 4 easily, it’s just about time 🙂
Update to Joomla! 4
If you still want to work with Joomla 4, recommend you do it with test website first, not recommend for your client website this time. You can update our template to Joomla 4, follow steps:
1/ Update extensions
- Update Helix Ultimate 1.x to 2.x
- Update SP Page Builder to latest version
- Update SP Simport Portfolio
2/ Disabled unsupported extension
- K2 (this time, we don’t hear anything from K2 team, look like we have more back to Joomla article).
- other extensions that you have not get informed from author about Joomla 4 compatible issue yet.
3/ Update Joomla!
- Run update from 3.x to 3.10
- Run update from 3.10 to Joomla 4
4/ Joomla! 4 ready
After update, you will go to Joomla 4 with new fresh version and new Admin dartboard.
5/ Review new system
Recheck your theme options, main functions from your website.
6/ Issue and Restore
If you have an issue, try to search Joomla Community or Extension author blog posts. Otherwise, you can restore to the old version with Akeeba kickstart tool.
For my personal suggestion, you just update your Joomla! to 3.10 and keep this version working this year. At The Beginning of next year, you can think about Joomla! 4 update.
If you have any questions or need my assistant, feel free let me know with your comments.
- 15 WAYS TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE WITH WORDPRESS - September 30, 2021
- [Joomla] How to add rel=”noopener noreferrer” to all external links - September 6, 2021
- Joomla 3.10 and Joomla 4.0 release, what’s going on with your Joomla websites? - August 25, 2021